1/15/17

Breaking Lances: The French Connection

Hot Fleur on Fleur Action!

French Knights

As I get closer to having my Breaking Lances rules finalized (I both bless and curse editors) I've been working towards getting more variety in the choices of knights that will be available. These two are prototypes that will merge into the final model.

A three quarter view shows how challenging it is to make contact.


 

 Le Chevalier Azure

This design is actually a coat of arms of my good friend Stanislas. I've changed the colors of the charge to protect the innocent. (and in case he owes anyone groats).


Blue on blue was a fun challenge.

The inspiration for this knight's colors came from the Fantastic mind of the late Angus McBride
(in other words, I stole it from this painting)






Le Chevalier Blanc et Noir

This fine fellow is closer to what the final model will look like. I strengthened the Fleur- de- lys and simplified the design some, to make it easier to read and paint. The color scheme is from the Codex Manesse, but I couldn't find the source page to show you.

After looking at the pictures I'm going to bump up the contrast on the white caparison and mantle.
Both knights will be in a grand tournament I'm running at Dundracon Game Convention in February. Come by and show your jousting skills if you can!



7 comments:

  1. It's Stanislaw... :^)
    They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, as always. The figures also have great depth. Using the layers of flat wood pieces really produces a great 3D effect. You have the real eye of an artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dale- thanks very much. The layering of pieces really does help with the over all form. This was something I experimented with a ton when deciding how I wanted to make my woodens.
      Cheers
      Ths

      Delete
  3. Ingenious work...............they look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Springinsfeld- I'm blushing!
      Really, they are a blast to paint, and turnback flaps aside, are really just like coloring in a coloring book. The paint stays within the laser cut lines.

      Cheers
      Ths

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous knights, Thomas. I was hoping that one day you'd get around to doing your wooden flats in profile.

    Cheers,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corporal- thanks very much. These guys "needed" to be profile. I'm working on the foot versions now, so you know, this may become more of a thing...
      Cheers
      Ths

      Delete