“Charge those pointy things! “
~ Attributed to Prince Rupert
Wooden Wars: English Civil War pike commission
While trying to get Galleys Guns and Glory out the door, I’ve been lucky to get a couple of commissions, and I have to admit I’ve been jazzed by the challenge of each of them. This post is about an English civil war pike man in plate. This was a fun piece to do, and a challenge to make the armor translate on a flat surface.
|Really this fine fellow could be used for 30 years wars as well.|
|Sword is a separate piece, as is the plume. This gives both depth|
Pointy bits and lots of plate
I prototyped a few different designs making the plate a separate piece, but in the end the breast plate and tasses looked best on the model. I did the same with the helmet which could have gone either way- but kept it on the model for ease and strength. If I had more time to create this piece, I might have gone with a woolen cap as the base and had several helmet types to add on. One of the things that excited me about this commission is that I’m working on doing a Napoleonic heavy cavalry model, such as a Cuirassier. This is good practical practice.
|Always interesting what "blends in" when painted.|
Keeping in line with my other models, the back piece is separate and gives detail of the back plate and jacket skirt. Here I deviated from my normal designs and made the sword and hangar separate- because it just looks cooler!
The pike is 146mm tall, which is double the height of the soldier if you measure from feet to eyebrow. I worried that if it were much longer it could become too fragile- and these things get balls tossed at them don’t forget. The current height “reads” pike especially to those who don’t have them.
I seem to be a bit of a masochist when it comes to painting my Wooden Wars models, as I don’t like using metallic paints. I kind of have it stuck in my head that the designs are based on period prints and etchings and as such I keep to the idea of print at the time. When I started painting the armor on this guy, I covered it all with a thinnish base coat of REAPER Rainy grey. Honestly I could have just stopped there- it looked great all one color with the etch lines coming through and contrasting a bit with the reddishness of the burnt wood.
If I were doing simple paint jobs I could call it a day. But I wanted to push it further. I went back and forth a few times on the armor building it up and bringing it back down- and although the outcome is good, I don’t think I hit the right notes yet. Luckily I know where I can get more to paint J
|this model was painted by the gentleman who commissioned the piece|
I believe he is done up as one of the white companies.
If any of you out in Blogland have some good tips on large surface metal NMM- please comment! Entice me enough and I’d be happy to send you a model with which you can show your technique!