|5 inch hex "city" marker for 6mm Command and Colors|
One Day Build:Aspern and Esslin-ishWell, its convention season again, which means that one of my gamer friends comes to me with a " hey- can you help me make this- like before the con?!" Request. Don't tell them this, but I actually enjoy these challenges, both as an exciting break to what I'm doing, and that I get to help them out.
On my end I challenge myself on how quick I can flip the request. This was basically a one day build, ala Adam Savage. This particular project was to create a series of hex squares that have a "city" in them to represent Asperg and Essling for a 6mm Napoleonic Command and Colors game.
Create 9 5 inch hexes with representative buildings which can accommodate command and colors stands on the hex.
I already have a cache of "stage flat" style buildings from a project that I worked on with Jay Wiley of Wiley Games which I used as a starting point for making the buildings. I then scaled them down to a 6mm-ish size and made templates on how they would fit and slot into the bases. This worked out to one main longer center piece and two shorter side wings. Once I had that all figured out, I made some quick variations and then got to cutting.
|Not optimally layed out, but remember- one day build!|
|Buildings are Birch ply, with MDF hex bases.|
|28mm White walker for scale!|
Assembly and Painting:I pre-painted the MDF with a couple of Rattle cans mixing a Krylon moss green and Army painted Desert sand (?) to get a bit of variation. This saved a lot of time especially drying time if I had painted them with brushed on paint.
The buildings are slotted so assembly was just glue in place. Before I did that though I looked on line at some cool period buildings, or models other folks had made, and then went to work getting a paint theme down. As I would not have time to paint them all, I wanted to create an easy to follow set up that would hopefully read well on the table. Here are the paints and inks I used.
|The color swatch was for my friend to take. I ended up also giving him some ink as I had a spare bottle.|
All told, a set of buildings took about 15 minutes. For fun I added some green to one of the buildings.
|A more painted in scene. This was the first set.|
|A half done version, needing highlights.|
|Another angle, showing off my Elite Hussars|
|And yes they stack for storage!|
This project took me about 6 hours from start to hand off. I only painted 2 of the 9 sets, so figure had I had time to do them all it would have been another couple of hours to maybe complete them. Okay, call it 3 hours because you know I'd keep fiddling on them, and I didn't do anything to the backs!
I am keen on seeing how they turn out on the battlefield, and look forward to pics from Pacificon!