7/15/17

My name is Skull and Crown and I play with 6mm sci fi

Steve Jackson Ogre MkIII and some forge world tank busters.

Coming out of the Closet

It's true. For several years now I've been collecting and painting 6mm sci fi. Tanks, Mechs, Ogres (or as I like to think of them, BOLO's) troops, robots, Titans- the whole shebang! My close friends have known for years, and have supported me throughout tough times, like the Ogre kickstarter, and have tolerated my 6mm napoleonics.
 Now I'm ready to admit it publicly, and embrace- nay- be proud of my wee ways.

But in order to come out, I needed to have  platform upon which to do it. 

Offworlding

I was keen on making a new "planet" inspired by Venus and Mars and well, any good sci fi movie. Part of the plan was to incorporate all the vaccuform craters I've been hording over the years. I know I wanted an orange look, but not too orange. The main choice of color would rest on what paints were available at the local Home Depot and ACE Hardware off color bins.

I scored a  gallon of  deck paint with sand already in it, tannish color for $8, a quart of red brown for $4, and a  pint of yellow for $2. I already had a sampler pint of orange and a gallon of "Vallejo flat earth" that I had custom made last year as my base color (I use it as the base for all my mats no matter what terrrain, so my bases can match). 
One stretched canvas later,  some foam cut hills, and  a few layers of paint and drybrushing, a decent enough planet was made. 

under painting of the Vallejo brown. This is really a stain on a very wet canvas
The done mat- in the shade, so the colors here are muted. 

This picture captures the true color of the planet. Hm.. I need a name....
Troops in review

Infantry use the leviathan for a screen, and take advantage of it's shields

cute light jeeps scout ahead and worry about their cammo choices...


As my Combat! rules allow for Bolos, or Leviathans as I call them, the classic Ogre model fits the bill. I swear the lines on the Steve Jackson Ogre are as iconic as a 62 Chrysler 300.

Heavy Gear Mechs are swarmed by Skyth bugs


These pics cover just some of the collection, set up for a test photo shoot. As you can see, I'm all over the place with manufacturers. One company who's minis I am keen on is  the Dark Realm Miniatures line from Microworld games. They are actually quite pricey for 6's, but I love the sculpts.

Right, now that that's out of the bag, time to actually get these rules penned up.




2 comments:

  1. There, now don't you feel better for coming clean? Nice leviathan and tanks and a really nice mat!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey There !
    My name is Joshua Stawiarski Co - Editor Of TalkWargaming.com

    Sorry if this message is presented in a spammy way but it’s hard to contact a lot of wargamers properly.

    I wanted to inquire about if you would be interested in selling published content you created that is on your website to us over here at talkwargaming.com.

    If you are interested or have questions we can go over more details at: editortalkwargaming@gmail.com
    Put In The Subject Heading : “ Wargame Creator ”

    Looking forward to hearing from you,
    Sincerely,
    Co - Editor Of talkwargaming.com

    ReplyDelete