2/10/17

Triumph of Death: Death Plays a Hurdy Gurdy

 Death Plays the Hurdy Gurdy

This is the first of my musicians for the Triumph of Death line up. The hurdy gurdy is a popular instrument in several European regions throughout the Renaissance, and when well played is amazing to hear. Other times its musical timbre has been likened to two cats fighting in a bag full of rosin. Needless to say, it had to be in the range!
 If you've never heard the hurdy gurdy played, Guilhem Desq is an amazing intro. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

my concept sketch of the mighty musician

A woodcut ( Holbein?) showing a hurdy gurdy. 






Pike Conversions and stuff

Careful- sharp!

I recieved 5 pounds of casting this week, and have started up a couple of painted units, plus sent a few "review" models to friends to paint up. While going through the excellent castings I did find a few miscasts on some javelins, so decided to convert two of them into pike. I am so happy as to how these turned out that I may have the javelin model reworked to be open handed, so we have options.

You'll put your eye out kid!

 So- yeah. Note the awesome premade pike I'm using. I think I got them from Warlord many many moons ago. They are really nice AND really sharp. While working on these guys I bent down to pick up a model on the painting table and stabbed myself just above the eye on a pike! as I moved my head up the model and the film cannister half full of weights came with, and I had to pull it out, drawing some blood. Another half centimeter and I'd be telling you guys how I lost my eye to a pike.  Needless to say, dear reader, file down the sharp bits on your weapons.  Maybe I need to make a pike advancing model to save my eyes... Hm...







9 comments:

  1. Love the concept sketch and the miniature! Regards, Karl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karl- It's a fun figure, and I think unique in terms of unit musicians.
      Cheers
      Ths

      Delete
  2. Excellent figure, the hurdy gurdy is a very appropriate instrument considering all the medieval images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ubique Matt- did you listen to the Youtube piece? haunting and beautiful. One could imagine the droning sound on the battlefield- like the bagpipes.
      Cheers
      Ths

      Delete
  3. Brilliant, you have captured the pose perfectly, with the shoulders arched back and the left key arm fully extended. I always wondered at the HG being a peasants instrument, as they are incredibly complex and prone to changes in humidity and temperature.....I guess an out of tune gurdy sounds more frightening for the undead army to march to. Let's have a bagpiper next :) The pikemen look great as well.... I am really excited by this project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sprininsfeld- very kind of you. I have a good friend who plays the hurdy gurdy, and actually created a dirge for me. It rattles the innards- in a good way.

      as to a piper, the next musician is going to be a horn player based upon the Holbein woodcut.

      Piper may be a stretch goal though!
      Cheers
      Ths

      Delete
  4. That idea is bizarre but fantastic! Are you thinking of selling the skellies with hurdy gurdys?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Kern- fantastic is what its all about- and it is historically accurate! I will be setting up a Kickstarter for all the Triumph of Death models at the end of the month (hopefully).
      Cheers
      Ths

      Delete
  5. Brilliant work! Now you need some Central European bag piping skellies to fill out the band.

    ReplyDelete